Part 1 Questions:
- What does your partner current digital footprint says about him/her, does it say anything about their new media creative abilities or interests?
- Do you think an employer or teacher should be able to see that?
- Where is the information coming from? A blog, a website, Facebook, etc.
This is what my partner, Natalie, found out about me:
- The first few results that show up pertain to her new media interests; her video project for school, as well as her audio podcast on VIMEO for Intro to Experience Design.
- Yes, i do think these results should be viewed by a future employer and/or teacher, it exhibits her interests with out showing her personal life.
- The information is coming from, YouTube, Vimeo, and hi5
This is what I found out about Natalie:
- Natalie’s digital footprint shows that she is interested in the social networking aspect of new media.
- Yes, I think that an employer or teacher should be able to access that information; it allows for a different way of getting to know the person.
- The information is coming from websites such as Formspring, Twitter and Facebook.
Part 2 Question:
Research how to establish your digital footprint using web 2.0 technologies (facebook, wordpress, flickr, youtube and others) and how to create a data trail that can be searched and found via specific keywords.
Discuss what strategy would best serve the purpose of creating a digital identity that serves to inform teachers and potential employers of who you are as a new media creative professional.
If someone is socially active through Web 2.0 Technologies such as Facebook and Twitter, there is no doubt that something about them will turn up on Google.; that is, unless their privacy settings are set otherwise. To have a well established digital footprint doesn’t mean that one must be a part of every social networking website out there. They could simply be on Facebook, and have the information they want to show up on Google when their name is searched.
Searching someone on Google can result in both professional and personal information showing up. To control what shows up when your name is searched. Is to change the names used on the website you don’t want coming up.
The easiest thing in creating a data trail is to include your name and any relevant and appropriate keywords in a site as many times as possible.